Thursday 19 April 2012

Crochet news

Hello chaps! Being as all I'm doing is sitting about all day, poncing about on the interweb.com, watching the box set of Friends and downloading books onto my Kindle that I don't end up reading, I thought it was time to get my arse in gear and do a blog post. Quick update on the neck...I still have the hurty arm of pain, but a little less hurty than it was a couple of weeks ago. I've gone past the stage of wanting it amputated anyway. The neurosurgeon said it is a prolapsed disc and will take about 8-12 weeks to get better. I was supposed to have a steroid injection for the pain last week, but the doctor wouldn't do it, (thankfully, I was bricking it) because where he had to put the needle was too near my spinal cord and a bit risky. So I am grinning and bearing it and most of the time I am off my tits on medication, which to be honest can be rather pleasant.
Today I am up, showered, hair washed and dried, smothered in body lotion and wearing clothes. Onwards and upwards.
Anyway, crocheting n ting.
The two completed blankets are blatant knock offs of blankets I kept salivating over on two different blogs. The grey and cream one I nicked from Mia Landliv and the stripey one from Little Woolie. My versions are vastly inferior, but I like them anyway. Not quite as much as I like theirs but I'll live with it.

Stripey blanket. I made this in Aran as I wanted it to grow fast and it did. I actually did this one before Christmas so it's old news to me and thus is being allowed to travel further and further away from my side. I even let The Teenage Daughters use it now and then.

I had to do the edging with the ruffle to hide the fact that it is as wavy as a very wavy thing because I am pants at knowing where to start on a new row. Held up straight it looks a bit odd and mental but hey ho, mostly I fold it and try to make it look a bit straight. Or it is over my knees being stroked and admired.
Foldy uppy picture.
Right... next.
The grey and cream one. I did this one over Christmas and I really enjoyed it because it was very easy and I like grey anyway. Every now and then I had a roll call of squares and it seemed to grow quite quickly. It's plain with a plain-ish edging but I really like it. And it's straight! No wavy edges.
I actually did the edging twice because after a month or so I realised it looked rotten and I could have done better so I attacked it with scissors and did it again and I'm more happy with it now.
More foldy uppiness.
Next we have the WIP. One of them anyway. I have been doing this on and off since about October. Losing interest then picking it up again and now I like it. I decided to put small squares round the edge, just to see if I could and because it was a picture in my head and I wanted to see how it would come out. I probably should have blocked the big squares before I joined them (I joined them in that join as you go way and felt like crying with relief that I never, ever have to sew squares together again if I don't want to,)but it's too late now and the crookedness adds to it. No really. It does.

The edging will be in this pale green, one more round of trebles I think then probably shells. Crocheting is still painful at the moment and I am doing about four inches a day then necking a few tablets to get over the exertion.
Major foldage.
I am dreading sewing the ends in. Take a look at this little blighter...
Before the neck I started these.
I love them. I don't know if you can slip a disc by treating crochet as if it's an extreme sport but if you can then I will blame these babies. I was knocking them out at a rate of knots. Loved making them and was all over excited about how gorgeous they were turning out. The wool is by King Cole and a massive bargain. Very soft and lovely to work with but perhaps a bit limited in colours. Obviously I bought shedloads of it and also started another thing in white, red, pale blue and something else that I can't remember. Due to having to step away from the crocheting for the time being, I have packed my stash away in a big bag and put it under my bed so I'm not tempted.
Please note how I artfully placed my other blanket near the bag so I could get it in the shot. (How do I have the cheek to call these amateurish snaps, shots? Who do I think I am, David Bailey?)
Another exciting thing is Crochet Club. A few girls from work, (I use the terms girls very loosely, but don't tell them,) were nagging me to teach them so we started Crochet Club. It's at my house on some Thursdays. We sit in my dining room and drink wine and tea and eat cake and chocolate and slag off anyone who isn't there. I have actually taught four people to do this now and I have surprised myself with my patience. It's rather exclusive because if everyone came we wouldn't have anyone to talk about. I like it though and being as I don't work Fridays I don't have to worry if it goes on late.
So, my mate is popping round for a cuppa in a bit, good job I'm dressed today and not sitting here festering in a dirty dressing gown, so I'm toddling off.
Laters...

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're wearing clothes, Missy, that's always a good thing. Good grief, all this crocheting blanket making gorgeousness! Tres magnifique methinks. The first one you've shown is my favourite.

    I'm in the throes of knitting squares for a patchwork blanket (a big one to go on our bed - yikes). I'm dreading attaching them together. At least with knitting you don't have to bother about sewing in all those silly old ends. Hateful job.

    Don't crochet too hard now will you? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness that is miles and miles (or kilometers) of wonderful crochet goodness! No wonder your arm is hanging by a thread! Glad you are back to posting. I loved seeing all these blankets(the pink and grey is my fav) Take it easy and try not to overdo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blankets look good. I do like the stripy one a la Mia Landliv. Sewing in ends ....yes, well, um ...ghastly job. That's why I crochet them in as I go, as much as I can. It does make life a lot easier.

    Like you when it comes to joing all those lovelysquares I like to use the join-as-you-go method too. Depending on the squares I'll sometimes use the flat braid method. This gives it a nice lacy effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow and more wow. Great blankets. How did you do the edging on the grey one. I'm up to the edging on my present blanket and I don't really like frilly edging. Those pink and grey squares are gorgeous. Any chance of a pattern hint? Take care of your arm.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all absolutely gorgeous! I'm finding the prospect of starting and completing one this year a bit daunting. But it's on my list, so I must at least attempt it!

    Sorry to hear about your arm, but glad it's getting a bit better and hurrah for the medication haze!

    Faith Hope and Charity Swap 2012 Sign up now OPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful blankets..you have done a lovely job on them! I just adore the stripey one (such pretty colours). I need to learn how to crochet..
    The crochet club sounds like fun, what a great idea. Enjoy those glasses of wine and all the gossip :)
    I hope your arm starts feeling better soon...
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete